Social Security and Taxes 

The amount of your income will determine whether you should pay taxes on your Social Security benefits, which are generally taxable at the federal level.

Because their combined income from other sources and Social Security puts them above the extremely low thresholds for taxes to kick in, most people who receive Social Security benefits should pay income tax on  half or even 85% of that money.

You should prepare to pay some income taxes on your SSecurity benefits if you have any other retirement income sources, such as a 401(k) or a part-time job. But you won’t likely have to pay taxes on your benefits if you only receive Social Security checks.

  • Retirement income earners will have to pay federal taxes on a portion of their benefits.
  • Social Security benefits are also subject to state income taxes in thirteen states.
  • When developing a retirement income plan, consider the chance of taxation on your Social Security benefits.


Making Social Security Income Tax Calculations

Individuals with a combined gross income that includes Social Security of at least $25,000 or married couples filing together with a combined gross income of about $32,000 are subject to taxation on up to 50% of their Social Security benefits.

Your combined retirement income will determine how much you must pay in taxes if your Social Security income is taxable. Although the income tax rates will vary depending on your filing status, you will never pay taxes on more than 85% of your Social Security income.

How much of your social security benefits are subject to tax?


Since 1983, Social Security benefits above a certain income threshold have been taxed. Since then, those limits have not been adjusted for inflation, so most people who receive Social Security benefits and earn money from other sources must pay taxes on those benefits.

Reducing your taxable income when you retire, not your overall income is the key to lowering taxes on your Social Security benefit.

Roth IRAs and Social Security Taxes


Consider saving in a Roth IRA if you’re worried about your income tax burden in retirement. In contrast to many other retirement accounts, a Roth IRA allows you to save after-tax money. You probably won’t pay taxes when you withdraw your contributions because you already paid taxes on the funds before contributing it to your Roth IRA.

Additionally, you are not required to withdraw the money after you retire on a predetermined schedule. In contrast to traditional IRAs and 401(k) plans, this is a distribution. Instead, depending on when you turn 72, these call for you to start withdrawals when you’re 72 or 73. 

Your withdrawals from a Roth IRA won’t be included in the total income you must declare for Social Security tax purposes. As a result, a Roth IRA might be a great way to boost your retirement income without raising your taxes.

Paying Social Security Taxes

Each January, you must receive a Social Security Benefit Statement (Form SSA-1099), which lists your benefits for the previous tax year. It can be used to ascertain whether you must pay federal income tax on your benefits.

You must enter the total of your taxable Social Security income on your income tax form once you have calculated it. Fortunately, this part is simple. Find your benefits’ overall value first. Box 3 of your Form SSA-1099 will contain this. You will then enter the total of your Social Security benefits online 5a of Form 1040 and the taxable amount on line 5b.

Create a Social Security plan that is tax-efficient.

When filing for Social Security, consider tax efficiency or how much of your taxable income remains after paying all applicable income taxes.

Generally speaking, Social Security benefits will be taxed more favorably than retirement income from traditional IRAs or 401(k)s.

You can decide whether it is advantageous to delay filing for Social Security benefits and determine the best way to access your income sources to meet your retirement cash flow requirements by considering tax efficiency.

Important Keynotes

Social Security dependent or survivor benefits your child receives do not contribute to your taxable income. If the child earns enough money (from Social Security and other sources) to be required to file a tax return in their own name, then that money is taxable.

Taxes never apply to Supplemental Security Income (SSI). You have a choice as to how to pay taxes on your benefits if you must: You can either ask Social Security to deduct federal taxes from your benefit payment or submit quarterly estimated tax returns to the IRS.


Share This
Click To Call